Feb 1, 2014
This week on The Oh Beep! Geocaching Podcast we're discussing spoiler videos - are they good or bad for this obsession?
This week Steve and Barbara, who cache under the name Ukecan tell us their Because of Geocaching story...
The Monkey King, who was last weeks Because of Geocaching guest has challenged us to a travel bug race. Ours has to make it to a cache in Australia and his to a cache in the UK. More details on that in coming episodes.
by Jacaru | GC4WNRD | East Midlands, United Kingdom
The Happening 27 - "Feb
by Ed2Ed | GC4WW4G | Eastern England, United Kingdom
THE CUNNING CACHERS 7TH
by The Teddies | GC4XJHB | Southern England, United Kingdom
BBH#74 BORDERING ON A
by bones1 | GC4WK59 | Eastern England, United Kingdom
by The Magna Defender | GC4XKBM | Northwest England, United Kingdom
Love Love... Geocaching
by 100espinhos | GC4VD8F | Northwest England, United Kingdom
The TCGCPC podcast ended this week, with episode 80. Thank you Sir_ZMan, Lady Z and Nick Danger.
Lots of Groundspeak news this week.
New I <3 Geocaching - Lab Cache released to Premium members http://blog.geocaching.com/2014/01/i/. The key points
Site updates too. Including changes to the rules of event caches.
Today's web release updates and fixes:
Sharing the knowledge may inspire someone else to create a similar cache, or even try to better it.
the Monkey King: 99% of the spoilers I see on youtube are not in Australia, and of the remaining 1% even less than that are even in my part of the country. From my point of view I like these videos as I can learn to make better caches from them.
They tend to highlight highly creative Geocaches
Muggles may see the videos and decide to give Geocaching a go
Knowing can take away part of the fun and challenge of some caches
The cache owner may not want their secrets revealed
We had a couple of other responses to this topic, giving some good advice to people considering doing spoiler videos.
Derek Carter: I think that, as long as the CO for the cache has given prior approval for the video, there's no problem with it. I have seen hundreds of videos made by the COs themselves of their unique creations so that other cachers can get ideas to improve their hides, and ultimately, the geocaching experience. Of course, you always have the option of NOT WATCHING THE VIDEO if you don't want a spoiler!!
Corey Stevens: I would suggest getting permission from the cache owners whenever giving out spoilers. Even showing pictures of caches, I have gotten permission before sharing them. It is just a common courtesy that I give to those who own the hides.
Brian Roberts: I am fine with any geocaching videos. Best thing about them is you can get great ideas for caches. If they are spoilers then if you don't want to watch them you don't have to. Thing is there are literally 1000s of caches in UK and the chances of you coming across a spoiled one is slim anyway. Geocaching is about enjoyment in your own way. What one person likes is not the same as another. Enjoy it. Ta la.
On next weeks show we're giving tips to children on how to find caches before their adults do. The following week we have an interview. Then on episode 18 we're taking a look at the top UK Geocaches - as it is award season, we thought we'd celebrate the best caches voted by UK Caches using the favourite points.
If you have any comments on this show, past shows, or anything else geocaching related then please send it to email@example.com. You can also find us on Twitter (@ohbeepgcp), Google+ (google.com/Ohbeepgcp), Facebook (facebook.com/ohbeepgcp). Or at www.ohbeep.com.